The instructions outline revisions to the HCS, including:
- Updated hazard classification of chemicals
- Standardized label elements for chemical containers, and
- Specifying the format and required content for safety data sheets.
The standard set varied implementation dates for employers, manufacturers and distributors:
- Employers were required to train workers on the new label elements and safety data sheets by Dec. 1, 2013.
- Chemical manufacturers, importers and distributors had to comply with revised safety data sheet requirements by June 1, 2015.
- Manufacturers and importers had to comply with new labeling provisions by June 1, 2015.
- Distributors have until Dec. 1, 2015, to comply with labeling provisions as long as they are not relabeling materials or creating safety data sheets, in which case the June 1 deadline applies.
The guidance also explains how the revised standard is to be enforced during its transition period and after the standard is fully implemented on June 1, 2016.