|OSHA Respirator Sign|
Court Rejects Appeals to Silica Rule
In 2016, OSHA published a final rule regulating workplace exposure to silica, Occupational Exposure to Respirable Crystalline Silica (29 CFR 1910, 1915 and 1926). Industry groups petitioned for review of the rule, but the U.S. Court of Appeals recently rejected all five of their challenges, leaving the rule in effect. Read more.
CDC Study Finds High Asthma Deaths in Construction, Healthcare
A new CDC study of asthma mortality shows that up to 700 asthma deaths in 2015 might have resulted from occupational exposures - and could have been prevented. The study found significantly elevated asthma mortality ratios for men in the food, beverage and tobacco products manufacturing industry, and for females in the social assistance industry and community and social services occupations. By industry, the highest number of asthma deaths occurred among men in the construction industry and among women in the healthcare industry. Learn more.
OSHA Penalties Increased This MonthOn Jan. 2, civil penalty amounts for violations of workplace safety and health standards increased by two percent from last year. New penalties are:
- Willful and repeat violations - $129,336 per violation
- Serious, other-than-serious and posting requirements - $12,934 per violation
- Failure to correct violations - $12,934 for each day the condition continues
OSHA Safe + Sound Campaign Offers Free Webinars and Safety Resources
Safety and health programs should includes management leadership, worker participation and a proactive approach to finding and fixing hazards. OSHA's Safe + Sound Campaign supports employers' efforts by offering free webinars, resources and local events to support safety and health program development. To get started with your own safety program, visit the Safe + Sound Campaign page.
Upcoming Safety Webinars Presented by OH&S:
- January 31 - EHS Resolutions: Kick-Starting Your Programs for 2018 and Beyond
- February 8 - National Safety Council Study: Making the Case for Contractor Management
- February 21 - Employers Must Put Safety First in a Drug-Friendly Culture
- On Demand - Practical Tips for Implementing New OSHA Fall Protection Regulations
- Learn more or sign up.
Browse US-Made Safety signs and Labels at ComplianceSigns.com:
- Respirator safety signs
- Find OSHA-format signs fast
- Hearing PPE signs and labels
- Make your own custom safety sign